|This page or section belongs to Pancakes, so please don't edit it without their permission. If it's unfinished, they're working really hard on it and have specific visions for it, even if doesn't look like it. They'll get around to it. Eventually.|
It is a known tourist attraction in the Random Region not only because of its year-round winter weather and opportunities to do winter sports and activities, but also its own quirky culture and polite community.
This is not a theme perse but this song gives a good vibe for the town:
Places[edit | edit source]
Restaurants[edit | edit source]
- McDonald's (it has two floors and they always have every kind of McFlurry, and the ice cream machines just never break)
- Pizza Hut
- Chocolate Heaven (sells sweets, pancakes, waffles, ice cream, etc, merged with Madame Fluffcloud's Cafe)
- The Deep Freeze (pub and restaurant)
- Madame Fluffcloud's Café (a lot of people come here for breakfast and lunch, merged with Chocolate Heaven)
An adaption of Freddy Fazbear's Pizza was considered to be made at some point, featuring a polar bear, arctic hare, arctic fox and robin as the animatronics, but the proposal was turned down by the residents due to a lot of them being scared of the game in the first place, so it was never made and a standard Pizza Hut was established instead. Residents don't really like to talk about it and pretend it never happened.
Shops[edit | edit source]
- Blizzard Superstore (like a regular supermarket)
- Cosy Memories (retro shop, sells VHS tapes, audio cassettes and older video games, but it also stocks DVDs, manga, video game and anime merchandise, hundreds of plushies, and newer video games. Most things are second hand and the inside has a vaporwave/synthwave theme inside.)
- Toys R Us (was open after the shutdown of most other shops independently. Now that Toys R Us is widely returning, they will be given the ownership of the previously independent Softdrift store.)
- Frosty Adventures Sports Shop (sells things for the winter sports people do in the area)
- Overcast (a small shop that sells unusual products and toys, sometimes the things they sell are bootleg but funny)
- Pingu Superstore (a shop that sells Pingu themed everything, paired with Blizzard Superstore and the first location of the shop in the Random Region)
Entertainment[edit | edit source]
- Chilly Skies Arcade (also has indoor rollercoasters and a candyfloss machine, because it would be a bit dangerous to make a rollercoaster outside on a mountain)
- Various places that do winter sports I'm still thinking of names for, includes skiing, ice skating, mountain climbing and ice hockey
- Coldeon (cinema, shows a variety of films, current or previous, on rotation. Schedules are available to pick up in a number of places in the area, including the Coldeon itself. Despite its name, it's not cold inside.)
- Icicle Crash Stadium (hosted the 2013 Randolympics and its own monthly local winter sports tournaments. It also serves as a music and events area, like where Lil Important and Famous Dex have played on their tour. For these purposes, the heating is turned on more, as it usually needs to be cold. Unlike its vaguely inspired country, it is extremely rare for people in Softdrift to cause fights over sports.)
- Softdrift Library
- Magical Church
- Pokemon Center
Residential[edit | edit source]
There are various hotels and lodges people can stay in, and residents of the town stay in their own houses or lodges.
Television[edit | edit source]
Softdrift has a local television news station, simply called Sleepy Mountains Informed. Instead of weather forecasts, it tells you how heavy the snow will be on a given day, because it's always snowing.
Most other channels are the same as the rest of the Random region, but for some reason, the shows tend to have their UK dubbed versions if they have one. This is on the default feed, and the original dub can be switched on by the second feed. Shows that have this default UK feed during broadcasts include:
- The Backyardigans
- Little Einsteins
- Pinky Dinky Doo
- Team Umizoomi
- Maggie and the Ferocious Beast
- Wow Wow Wubbzy
- Wonder Pets
- While it's not really a dub, it also has the equivalent UK Blue's Clues episodes, except for the ones that didn't get made because they didn't make sense with the singular main actor. In these cases, it defaults to the original and the UK version is not available.
Some previously lost or partially lost UK dubs have been made fully found because of this.
Softdrift is one of the few places in the Random Region where some international channels such as Discovery Kids, Minimax and JimJam are available, either in English or their other languages.
Flag[edit | edit source]
The flag of Sleepy Mountains is heavily connected to Softdrift. The flag has a teal stripe, a white stripe, and a purple stripe, with the outline of a mountain on it.
The white is for equality and connects it with the rest of the Random Region, as well as the snow. The teal represents winter and peace. The purple represents community and the quirkiness of the culture. The provinstate wouldn't be the same if it wasn't in the mountains, so the mountain hounors that.
The Mayor[edit | edit source]
Softdrift's mayor has nearly always been from the Snowcotton family because of their leadership skills and the fact not many others are brave or have the skills enough to take the role. (The mayor hasn't always been from the family, others can run for mayor if they wish and it has happened before, but not many others want to run for the role and the Snowcottons have had a long history of making Softdrift a pleasant place to live, which makes them very trustworthy.) While unconventional, it works smoothly. Currently, Mr Albert Snowcotton is the mayor. Upon his retirement, his son Edward Snowcotton will likely run for mayor.
Notable Residents[edit | edit source]
- Pancakes - A Sapi mixed Kantonian Alolan Raichu. Their parents Sparky (an editor for the Random Times and a contributor to Softdrift's local newspaper) and Storm (a baker who works in Madame Fluffcloud's Cafe) are also both Sapi and live in Softdrift. While they do appear in some shows with their friends, they are not really considered a celebrity like the others are. Locally, Pancakes is known for being of the three artists for the newspaper comics as well as their appearances in shows, and is considered more of a celebrity in Softdrift than in other areas. They aren't obsessed over when they goes out to the point it hinders their day, but people sometimes ask for them to sign things, which they happy enough to do.
- Baby Tubb - A baby frog who has won multiple awards for how polite he is and his good use of manners. Unlike a lot of other babies, he doesn't cry, scream or shit his pants.
'YouTube Home Video' subculture[edit | edit source]
A subculture exists in Softdrift that is considered strange in other places in the Random Region. It involves DVDs being produced containing YouTube videos which you can buy many DVDs for not much money. (They are usually 10 cents per DVD, 50 cents for a special box and label for customs, and the number of videos varies depending on the length of the videos.)
Cosy Memories and Overcast often have these DVDs for sale, the latter more often than the former. If they get scratched, you can take them to either shop and they will recycle the broken DVD and provide you with a new one, producing no waste at all.
Preset DVDs exist, but you can order your own custom DVD by providing the links or MP4s of the videos to the person in charge and they will produce it with a special 'YouTube Home Video' logo and a choice of main menu. Unless the contents of the videos are illegal, you are allowed to have whichever videos you want. Most YouTubers do not mind this because the profits are often miniscule compared to what they earn and the profits they do make is donated to charities. A pretend rating is assigned depending on the contents if you so wish.
Other[edit | edit source]
- Softdrift has the normal things a town would have like a hospital and a police station, but it also has a snow rescue service sort of like life guards for swimmers but to help people if they get stuck in snow or on a mountain.
- Softdrift is considered the main hub of Sleepy Mountains, most of the rest is wilderness people can brave if they want to, but if they get stuck they can call the snow rescue service to help them.
- Softdrift has the lowest crime rate out of all of the places in the Random Region. Both cases of criminal offence were small and caused by accident anyway.
- Movies and video games are usually their European/PAL versions, using BBFC classification for films and shows and PEGI for games. However, they still work in other parts of the Random Region even if they normally wouldn't.
- Because there is only one regularly habitable place in the Sleepy Mountains, Softdrift is classed as the capital despite only being a town. It is the only provinstate in the Random Region to have a town as the capital, albeit a very large town with aspects of a city.
- As you may know, the app TikTok is banned in the Random Region apart from in Joltsborrow. Softdrift is not an exception to this rule. However, the local government has produced an app called Sleetclip which has a similar interface but without the spyware and privacy concerns. It is not uncommon for TikToks to be reposted on Sleetclip from external sources, even with the original TikTok logo intact.
- Cosy Memories in Softdrift was the first place in the Random Region to sell and rent VHS Revolution tapes.
- The Pokemon Center in Softdrift has the most mascots out of all others. The mascots are Pikachu, Pichu, both Raichu forms, all of the regional Pikachus, Amaura, Alolan Sandshrew, Alolan Vulpix, Xerneas, Jirachi, Mimikyu, Galarian Zigzagoon, Hisuian and Unovan Zorua, Phantump, Hisuian Typhlosion, Froslass and Swirlix.
Comments[edit | edit source]
How tall would you say the highest peaks here tend to be? I'm working on a topographic map of the country and would like to know the scale.
I'm not sure of the exact scale but they are probably the highest points in the region if that helps. I'll try researching for an average number if not.
Maybe something close to two thousand metres could suffice?
Yeah that's good.